Dalla Cucina di Laura~
"Hummus" comes from the Arabic word meaning "chick peas", however many chefs have made their own variations over time. Garbanzo beans, Lentil beans, Cannellini Beans, Black beans, even Lima beans have given this traditional dip a significant twist.
(Though you will never catch me eating a Lima bean.)
Beans for some can be incredibly healthy and satisfying. But for those with sensitive tummies, they are a digestive nightmare. Even soaking and sprouting don't help much for certain metabolic types. Thank God we have chefs with creativity, and a plethora of nature's best to play with!!
The foundation for today's dish is yummy artichoke hearts!
So blend up a tasty snack and imagine yourself on the beaches of Santorini!
I'll meet you there for sunset :)
- 1 14 ounce can of organic artichoke hearts, packed in water, drained
- 10 pitted imported Kalamata olives, and 4-5 extra for garnish
- 2 Tbsp imported/organic EVOO, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ cup organic tahini
- 1/4 tsp organic cumin
- pinch of Celtic Sea Salt finely ground, black pepper, plus sprinkle of paprika for garnish
- 10 fresh mint leaves plus extra sprigs for garnish
- 1 thin slice of lemon garnish
- In the high speed blender like a Vitamix, Ninja or NutriBullet, (choose smoothie cups for the creamy deliciousness you see here) add all ingredients (except salt and garnishes) then blend until silky smooth.
- Season lightly with salt, pepper (and peperoncini flakes if you're spicy like me).
- Before serving- sprinkle paprika, drizzle 1 tablespoon EVOO, garnish with olives, fresh mint leaves and lemon slice.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Serve with your favorite julienned veggies, or healthy flax crackers (like the Lemon-Chia flavor from Foods Alive shown here) www.foodsalive.com/Crackers-Snackers-Onion-Rings-s/98.htm
Great on top a veggie burger or..
Especially fantastic with grilled lamb chops.
The unique flavor combinations are limited only to your imagination!
Think of avocado/lime hummus or carrot/beet!
How about truffle/mushroom hummus or pine nut/basil?
Pumpkin Pie. Turmeric/ginger.
Habanero/apricot or blueberry/mint!
For a serious sweet tooth- think candied apple/pecan or caramel/raw cacao!
Tickle your taste buds and enjoy the show.
Buon Appetito Tutti~