Dalla Cucina di Laura~
Very few foods leave my brain and my tummy so satisfied and happy.
But you must choose wisely, not the farmed and dangerous, color "enhanced", look alike version that contains the synthetic color chemical known as Carophyll. That chemical is designed to look like Astaxanthin, the world's most powerful antioxidant and King of the Carotenoids, which only Mother Nature can provide.
However healthy salmon is a powerhouse of nutrition!
Read more here: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/04/15/wild-alaskan-salmon.aspx
Seared Salmon with Tangerine Beurre Blanc
Ingredients for salmon:
4 wild caught salmon fillets, 6 oz each, at room temperature
2 tbsp grass-fed organic butter
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4-1/2 cup of natural spring water
paprika and sea salt to taste
Slivered or crushed nuts (almond, pecan, or macadamia favored)
1 bunch fresh organic asparagus spears
Ingredients for beurre blanc:
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed tangerine juice, now in season!
1 tbsp finely chopped shallot
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted grass-fed organic butter
1/4 tsp Celtic sea salt (I like Selina Naturally)
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
Paprika to taste
4 tbsp of champagne or dry white wine like Sauvignon Blanc, Muscadet (optional)
Salmon may be baked, roasted, seared or poached depending on preference.
I like my salmon in a cast iron skillet with butter, salt and paprika.
I periodically steam it while it's cooking, by adding a little fresh lemon water every minute or two and cover. This keeps the fish soft and moist while still allowing it to sear.
It is also important if you like your salmon medium, as I do, to start with room temperature fillets.
1. Prepare sauce by lightly caramelizing shallots in 1 tbsp butter and a pinch of salt
2. Add tangerine juice and heat to just shy of a boil
3. Reduce the sauce over medium heat, about 3-4 minutes
4. Whisk in 1 tbsp butter, reducing the heat to low
5. Whisk in remaining butter one tbsp at a time and wine if choosing
6. Whisk, whisk, whisk until desired thickness
7. Remove pan from heat and add salt, paprika and lemon juice
8. Drizzle warm beurre blanc over cooked salmon, and serve with wilted spinach or roasted asparagus. Top with your favorite crushed nuts and...Mangia!
Buon Appetito Tutti~ xx